Swift water rescue

Information regarding upcoming training and safety instruction

Swift water rescue

Postby Tony » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 am

Sorry for the delay of getting this out, but I have been dealing with the ACA’s paperwork and they move about as fast as the government.

I would like to start out teaching a one day basic swift water rescue class, with my focus being for new paddles or for someone that has never taken a SWR class before. I would like to schedule this for August 19 and would like to stay local so traveling does not become a problem, I am currently thinking either the Elkhorn or Floyd Fork water may be the determining factor.

I will be following the ACA SWR L2 curriculum which can be found here, http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.americanca ... skills.pdf. The skills covered will be Throw Ropes, Water Hazards, Swimming, Strainers, Wading, Boat Based Rescue, and Pins. A lot of this course is land based with practice to take place in the water. Please check out the link for all the required gear, but you will need appropriate clothing for swimming, life vest, helmet, footwear, boat, and paddle. If you currently have a throw bag please bring it, but it will not be required.

If you are interested in this please post here and let me know if the 19th will work for you.

I will also need a few co-instructors that have taken a SWR course before to help me out working with the students. If will also need a few loaner throw bag so the students will have something to practice with so if you would like to volunteer you rope please let me know. I would also like to set up an advanced skills day for people that have taken a SWR class to help knock off any dust that may have developed. If you are able to help please let me know, also if you are current SWR and have some specific skills you would like to practice please let me know.

Return to Instruction and Safety